Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Gonzalo Castro: El Arpa de Gonzalo Castro con el Conjunto Los Gatos


Gonzalo Castro apparently is (or was) a heavy hitter in Ecuadorian music. I think I remember hearing that his sons are also successful musicians today too. The blog http://ritmosymelodiasecuador.blogspot.com has put up some nice albums of Castro playing with other musicians and of the backing band from this album, Los Gatos, backing up some other leaders. For me, though, the combination of the songs, execution, and instrumentation on this album (all strings) makes it really unique. For some reason the dynamics on this rip seem off on some sound systems. The lower ranges can be barely audible, but in my experience it's always sounded fine over headphones. I'm not sure of the year, but I would guess it's from some time in the 70s.

Corazon by Easyjams

1 comment: